The City of Miamisburg, Ohio is home to just over 20,000 people. A progressive yet historic suburban community in the south Dayton metropolitan region, Miamisburg retains its small-town charm with a historic downtown while offering mixed-use commercial and residential options as well. Miamisburg prides itself on providing quality services to its residents and businesses and continuing to find new ways to attract visitors to the area.
The City of Miamisburg’s nationally accredited Parks & Recreation Department serves approximately 50,000 residents, including surrounding Miami Township. Overseeing and maintaining twenty (20) neighborhood and community parks, a Community Center, Family Aquatic Center, skateboard park, dog park, community recreation programming and events, and one 9-hole golf course that has been part of the community for over 60 years.
The Parks & Recreation Superintendent is an exempt full-time salaried position who reports directly to the Parks and Recreation Director and performs a variety of skilled, supervisory and administrative tasks to ensure the Recreation and Special Events Division is working towards the department’s mission of providing parks and recreation experiences that positively impact the community. This professional position is responsible for planning, developing, monitoring, organizing, evaluating and leading all functions, staff and events within the division.
The Superintendent will lead development, implementation and evaluation of programming and operations for all ages and abilities encouraging an inclusive environment for recreation and special events. Superintendent is responsible for research of opportunities, collecting and analyzing data, incorporating public input and evaluation, and ensuring excellent customer service while developing action plans and budgets, directing through supervision of personnel; and evaluating the effectiveness of accomplishments to implement modifications as necessary.
This position supervises a combination of direct and indirect full-time employees, as well as additional part-time and seasonal employees. A more complete Position Description can be requested from HR@cityofmiamisburg.com
Compensation & Benefits
The 2023 salary range is $71,835.83 – $91,914.04 DOQ with an excellent benefits package. Interested individuals should submit their application, resume and cover letter to Human Resources Director, Leslie Kohli, at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin on Monday, January 24, 2023 and will continue until position is filled.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Parks and Recreation, Business Management, Landscape Architecture, Project Management or related field. Examples of a related field include but are not limited to Tourism, Urban Affairs, Sports Management and Communications.
- Minimum of five years of progressive management experience. Preferred experience would be in an administrative role, including supervision of staff in recreation and special events management or a related field.
- Minimum of one (1) certification*, equivalent training/licensure specific to area of focus.
- Certified Parks and Recreation Professional (CPRP)*
- Must obtain CPR/First Aid Certification* within six months of appointment; and
- Possess a valid state-issued driver’s license*.
*Must maintain certifications and licensures as a condition of employment
- Knowledge of leading a comprehensive recreation and special event division.
- Operational knowledge of current Microsoft Office Suite software and ability to learn and use recreation software.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and conflict management skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Aquatic Facility Operators Certification (preferred)
- Experience in Capital and Operating budget development and management.
A combination of education, experience and training may be applied in accordance with the City of Miamisburg policy.
Disclaimer: The City of Miamisburg considers all applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.